a few lines over
Giuseppe Nicola Summa, known as Ninco Nanco (1833 – 1864)
- He was born into a poor family involved with problems with the law. His maternal uncle, Giuseppe Nicola Coviello, was a bandit who died burned in a hut where he was hiding from the police
- His father, though an honest farmer, had alcohol problems and one of his sisters was a prostitute.
- In his young age, he was often protagonist of violent episodes.
One day, he was beaten and stabbed in a leg by some people, forcing him into three months of recovery. Instead of denouncing the deed, he preferred personal revenge, killing one of his aggressors with an axe.
- Ninco Nanco became soon known for his cold-blooded and ferine acts.
According to the accounts of the time, Ninco Nanco often tore the heart from the chest of captured soldiers.
- Ninco Nanco’s activity began to weaken on the early 1864, because of the betrayal of…